Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dad

I am a little late in getting out this "birthday blog dedication". My dad's birthday was the day after we returned from our cruise. Maybe it was the sway of the boat that I felt for three days afterward that made me forget. Anyway, I still wanted to say a few words about my dad. - I remember him hiding my winter coat one time because I didn't hang it up. He wouldn't tell me where it was even though I had a date coming to pick me up at any moment. If I would ever ask if he knew where my shoes or coat were, I was sure to get this response, " The last time I wore it I put it away." - I remember him locking the keys in the (running) van at the Tulip time parade, and having to break the window because we had to get home for our softball game. ( I played, he coached) - He thinks that everyone of his grandchildren are smarter or better skilled than other kids their age, no matter the age. - I think the thing that really defines for me my dad is my memory of being in Jr. high. I was a cheerleader and had games after school, my mom worked so she came after she got out of work. I remember seeing my dad sitting in the stands among all these moms watching me cheer, and responding when we asked for crowd participation. He was never embarrassed and I can't remember him missing a game. I can't imagine that watching jr high girls cheerleading was all that exciting but my dad came and watched for me. I don't know if you realize what an impression of love and importance that was to me dad but I thank you. You have always made me feel special and loved. I love you.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

RP is sweeeet.

that little tid-bit about him sitting with the moms and cheering from the stands....AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I too repect RP! He did loose a few points with me because of that cheerleader thing. It may be hard to believe, but he was a hero to me when he would drive over in his brown Bonneville with the baby moon hub caps. I longed for that car. His great knowledge for sports was inspiring. I did my best to keep up with the Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Tackers. It took me a long time to convince him to marry Cowel. Thanks to me we now have Ron, Todd, and whats her name.

MiniMe Mom said...

Tami, that is awesome about your dad cheering from the stands. My parents were the same way, and although I would have never told them at the time, I loved it too. Happy Birthday Tami's Dad!

Old School said...

I remember dad playing QB in the front yard and having me use the tree as a pick to brush off Mark Moralez,

He also had to talk to Mr Gee after a hard days work because all of our baseballs, footballs, soccer balls, etc went into his yard and Mr Gee confiscated them and wouldn't give them back. Me and Todd had nothing to do for about an hour, that/those day(s). (I often wonder what the conversations went like)

He also let me flood the entire side yard to make a hockey rink.

Remember what the side yard looked like all the time from all our sports? Ever see his yard now?

Remember our garage when we were kids? Ever see his garage now?

He is a cool dad/grandpa. Just don't leave your empty glass in the family room or turn the heat up.

Happy birthday, Dad.

Little late, Tami.

tami said...

Don't forget, "All four on the floor"

Michelle said...

I'm glad that Uncle Ron had a messy/full garage back in the day, makes me feel better about the fact that we can hardly fit one vehicle in our large two-stall garage.

Anonymous said...

I hope that some day my Grand Children will say things about thier parents as said in this blog. There is no greater reward on earth than to know your kids beleive you did a good job raising them.

Anonymous said...

I remember when he through me in the lake!

Anonymous said...

I look up to RP too! Well, I guess I look down at him from above, now!

Triplet Mom said...

Happy B-day RP! Could Brad be more like you? Cowel and I have been talking about the similarities... it's crazy!

Anonymous said...

I remember throwing Ross in the lake also. His comment to his uncle after that was You You behind!!!!! I think he watned to say something else.

Michelle said...

claassic Ross moment!